First you need to know:
Teams must schedule arriving no earlier than Sunday and leaving not later than Saturday. For other arrangements, please call BGM at 601-983-1179.
COST (Deadline for forms and fee payment is 30 days prior to trip date.)
- Airfare: Each group is responsible for scheduling and paying for flights to and from Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
- Nightly Fee: BGM requires a $700 fee from each participant for a 6 night trip. That is approximately $117 per night. This fee covers one trip per team to and from the airport, transportation during the week, lodging, electricity, lunch and dinner each day, and translators.
- Emergency Medical Evacuation Fee: Due to an increase in insurance cost, each participant will be charged $12 per trip for emergency medical evacuation insurance.
- Transportation Fee: Your team fees cover the cost of transportation for two trips to the airport: 1 trip to pick up your team upon arrival, 1 trip to deliver your team to its departing flight. If you have team members who require additional trips to the airport, whether arriving or departing on a different schedule from the group, your team will be charged $40 for each additional trip required.
- Airport Fees:
- Each person should take $2 for a luggage cart and $2 per checked bag for tips to have available when arriving at the airport in Haiti.
- The team leader needs to be prepared to pay up to $200 in fees if the group is taking medicine into Haiti.
- Each person will be required to pay a $10 tourist fee as he enters Haiti. He must pay with a fairly new, uncrumpled 10 dollar bill that has no tears or markings.
- Additional Expenses: Each Thursday at the Galette Chambon and Thoman Hope Centers, there is a market place with items made by Haitians.* If you would like to purchase items at this market, you will need to have small bills available. Large bills will not be accepted and change will not be available. In addition, a Haitian at each location will be selling soft drinks for $1 each.
*You can order handmade baskets from Thoman now, and sell them to raise funds for your trip. Here’s how.
Number of Team Members
- The Hope Center at Galette Chambon has housing for 24 team members. Two dorm rooms house 8 each. Two dorm rooms house 4 each.
- The Hope Center at Thoman has housing for 32 team members. One dorm room houses 12. One dorm room houses 10. One dorm room houses 8.
Team Members Under the Age of 18
If you are planning to have minors from 9th – 12th grade on your team unaccompanied by their parents, you must have 1 adult for every three 9th – 12th graders, and 6th – 8th graders must be accompanied by at least one parent.
How to Schedule
1. Select a Location.
Teams have the option of serving in Galette Chambon or Thoman. Galette Chambon, the location of BGM’s first Hope Center, is about 17 miles east of Port-au-Prince and requires an hour bus ride from the Port-au-Prince airport. At this location, there is a medical clinic; dental clinic; medical missionary house; agricultural missionary house; 4 dorm rooms to sleep a total of 24 team members; a church; an orphanage; school; 40+ houses, most of which house families previously living in one of the tent cities that sprang up in Port-au-Prince following the earthquake, and agricultural plots. Thoman is located in the mountains about 50 miles east of Port-au-Prince and is a 2 to 2 1/2 hour bus trip from the airport. Thoman is similar to the Hope Center at Galette Chambon with the following exceptions: Thoman has 4 dorm rooms to sleep a total of 32 team members, and Thoman does not have an orphanage.
2. Select a Date.
Go to “Trips Scheduled.” Choose a week not yet taken. Teams must schedule arriving no earlier than Saturday and leaving not later than Friday.
3. Submit a Team Initial Planning Form.
4. Send a Deposit.
Make a nonrefundable $500 deposit to secure the date you have selected. Make your check payable to But God Ministries and mail it to: 400 Fontaine Place, Suite 103, Ridgeland, MS 39157. When we receive your deposit and submitted Team Initial Planning Form, your date is secured and your deposit will be credited to your group’s account.
5. Real all material on this page.
Follow the TEAM LEADER CHECKLIST.
Plan your ministry
1. The type of ministry your team does in Haiti is defined by the skills and interests of your team members as well as the needs of the community. Email Beth Rigney, mission team coordinator, or call 601-983-1179 to discuss the top needs and areas of service in the Galette Chambon or Thoman community. The BGM staff will work with you to plan your ministry there. Contact:
- Stan Buckley (email@example.com), Executive Director
- Tony West (firstname.lastname@example.org), Medical Director for Galette Chambon and In-Country Coordinator for BGM in Haiti
- Andrew Rader (@butgodministries.com), Missionary Lead in Thoman
2. For Children’s Ministry and Women’s Ministry: BGM has been blessed with teams doing children’s ministry and women’s ministry in Haiti. We strongly encourage teams to continue work in these two areas. The need for Bible knowledge and contact with Christian teachers is great. We have become aware, however, that since teams are planning individually, there has been much repetition in what is being done. Out of concern for the spiritual development of the children and women, each team needs to coordinate activies with children and/or women with our staff in Haiti.
- In Galette Chambon, contact Mickie West (email@example.com), missionary
- In Thoman, contact Andrew Rader firstname.lastname@example.org, Missionary Lead in Thoman
3. Submit a Team Planning Update Form.
Meet But God Ministries Deadlines
- At least 30 days before your departure, make sure all of your team’s participants have submitted their Participant Information and Release Form online by checking your team’s BGM online folder. All participants under the age of 18, not traveling with both parents, must have a signed and notarized Minor’s Travel Permission Form They must have two original copies in their possession during travel and one copy in the team’s Google Drive folder. Make hard copies of ALL team documents to take with you on the trip.
- At least 30 days from departure, send full payment of fees: $700/week per person (approximately $117 per night), plus $12 insurance cost per person, minus $500 deposit, plus any additional airport transportation fees (if applicable).